Monday, February 23, 2009

Have you ever wondered...?

How did the phase, “behind every man is a great woman” become so famous? I never really stopped to think about it, but I do use at my own convenience. Today is Shivaratri, and as I was searching on “google” for a picture of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, I came upon this story.

“One day, Lord Shiva became very angry and cursed that, “there shall not be any rain for 12 years on the Earth, and people will die.” People believed him.

As Lord Shiva and his wife, Goddess Parvati, were walking one day after the curse, they came upon a peasant who was plowing the fields. Both Lord Shiva and the peasant stopped their activity, and the following conversation began:Lord Shiva: “Hey foolish man. Don’t you know I am Shiva?”

The peasant: “Then what?”

Lord Shiva: “Don’t you see that I have cursed the Earth that there’ll be no rain for 12 years.”

The peasant: “Then what?”

Lord Shiva: “Why are you plowing the field?”

The peasant: “What is it to you?” You did what you did, I do what I do.”

Lord Shiva: “I don’t understand.”

The peasant: “You are the Lord of the three worlds. You are Lord Shiva. You are the deliverer of the mankind, you don’t understand this little stuff?”

Lord Shiva: “I don’t.”

The peasant: “Look, you have cursed that you won’t blow the conch for 12 years and there shall be no rain. All right? That’s true, and it will happen. I know it. There shall be no rain for 12 years, there shall be drought, and you are asking why I am plowing the land. I may die. I may not live for 12 years. Then why am I plowing the land? Because, I don’t want to forget my good habit. I want to keep my muscles. I want to keep going. I want to be. I don’t care if you are the Lord of the Universe or not. You may be the God yourself but I want to tell you that I’ll still plow the land.”


Goddess Parvati, Lord Shiva’s wife, was observing the encounter, and spoke to Lord Shiva:

“IF this man can forget the habit in 12 years, maybe you will also forget to play the conch in 12 years.”

Lord Shiva replied to his wife: “I cannot forget anything. What are you talking

about?”

Goddess Parvati: “All right, then play the conch. You say that you will not forget it. Play!”

Lord Shiva played the conch, and rain came down like “cats and dogs.” And Lord Shiva shouted, “Look at what you did! You tricked me into playing the conch!” Parvati then replied, “No, I just wanted to know whether you would really be like this little peasant of yours, and be able to forget a good habit, therefore you may also forget it. And see, you played the conch, and the rains came.” And the peasant replied to the Lord, “you see, it’s always good to have a good woman around.”

As it has came from centuries to our present day,

“Behind a great throne, there sits the goddess of the throne.”

No comments: