1. “an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or
vocal tones in a structured and continuous voice,”
2. “any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds”
3. “musical activity (singing or whistling)”
4. “the sounds produced by singers or musical instruments (or reproductions of
such sounds)”
5. “punishment for one’s actions (e.g. ‘you have to face the music’)”.
All, except for the last definition, can be applied to the singer / songwriter Hans Daniels and to his CD album, D.I.Y. music. So who is this Hans Daniels??
I had never heard of him until he started to follow me on utterli.com. I quickly found more information regarding Hans Daniels (Hans) via the internet. Hans is originally from North Carolina but makes his home in Atlanta, Georgia. As I stated, he is a singer / songwriter whose original interest was in alternative / rock until in 2003 when he proclaimed himself to be “electro crazy.” Translated into English, he became interested in electronic music, and now describes himself as being alternative / rock / electro musician (“acoustic electro”) plus a singer / songwriter. But how does this information relate to you and me??
D.I.Y. music is a collection of twelve songs that brings the musicality of the alternative / rock / electro / rap / country, as only a DJ could do, into one album. And honestly, I was skeptical for two reasons.1. I love music but my favorite genre is country, and it’s difficult to persuade me away, and
2. There are many singers / songwriters so what makes this artist, Hans, different?
First, it was not Hans but his performance on youtube.com that persuaded me to take a second look at him as an artist, singer, songwriter, musician, and performer. The title of the youtube.com performance is “white boy raps”. I’m not prejudicial but not all “white boys” can rap and maintain a musicality. The Beastie boys did it and did it well whereas others have failed miserably. But not with Hans Daniels, “white boy raps” was amazingly good along with the musicality. It was upbeat, funky, and non-monotonous. It was different but interesting, and more importantly, he left you wanting more of his music. And now, we get that chance with his album, D.I.Y. music.
The album consists of lyrics that combine the acoustic sounds of the guitar with the upbeat, non-monotonous, and funky sounds of the electronics to the (at times humorous) story-telling found in a country song with appropriate rapping. My favorites include “Atlanta Flusey” and “That’s my Day (Snake Song)”. The album is genuinely diverse in its’ musical tones and lyrics, and how a person would listen (e.g. while driving, exercising, studying, or writing a review). Hans has developed an album that can be enjoyed by every individual(s) no matter what their desired genre.

No comments:
Post a Comment